Move On and Up!

This blog has permanently moved! The posts on this blog have been imported to the website Michelle Rae Anderson: Experiential Writer, Media Ecologist, Pie-Maker

All my best, mediaChick

A serial, multimedia-rich story as experiment in alternative publishing. Written by mediaChick.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Who the Hell is mediaChick?

I take the first handful of days off in July for my Annual Birfday Staycation. A staycation, as you may already know, is when you take time off work and stay in town. With plenty of cool things to do around my beloved Portland, staycationing is a no-brainer.

I work for a company with holiday pay and so I schedule the time off to include the 4th of July and my birthday. That way I get more benefit bang for my buck. And every year I do three things: 1) avoid making lists of things to do, or berate myself for "wasting" my time off, 2) think a lot about myself and what I want out of life, and 3) not think about what I could be doing instead that's more: productive, efficient, "right", etc. I do these things to concentrate on the answer to this question: Who the hell is mediaChick? This is my fourth year of thinking about that question.

The art of submerging oneself in unadulterated me-me-me thinking without guilt does not come naturally to me. I have no problem whatsoever spending hour after delicious hour pondering and percolating and philosophizing; it's the "without guilt" part I struggle with. We all have that critical little voice inside us that quietly second-guesses decisions and reinforces toxic self-doubt. That internal dialog isn't all bad, however. I learned long ago my (opinionated) little voice also has uncanny intuition and lofty goals for my future. And so, once a year on my Annual Birfday Staycation, I pay close attention to what it is saying. I dream about my future and continue to learn what it means to "follow my bliss."

Let's go steady!

2 Tell me you love me:

Anonymous said...

Great philosophy! I don't see too many people living the examined life. I try to get out once a month to evaluate my personal vision/mission/values, in relation to my goals, objectives, and current schedule.

Unfortunately, I haven't been out in a couple (OK, several) months. You never struck me as an introvert, few sanguines are - however, these are definitely introverted traits.

I also find it interesting how many women are plagued with guilt and shame. Men live in such a blissful state of denial that it never occurs to us to be ashamed of ourselves.

I have a question for you though. Can the observer accurately observe themself?

stephanie said...

I think this is the perfect approach to a birthday - I do the same.

Happy birthday! Looking forward to meeting you at Camp :D